Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Old School.

1964. My mother was five years old. My father was seven. In this year, TV produced the greatest creation ever made. The classic series, The Addams Family. In my generation, the only reason I know who the Addams Family is is by the cartoon version of the show produced in 1992. I watched that and I watched the movies that were produced in the 90's. It wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that I discovered The Addams Family all began with a series. I always thought it just came out in the 90's. I never knew that the show was a real sitcom.

John Astin, Carolyn Jones, Ted Cassidy, Jackie Coogan, Ken Weatherwax, and Lisa Loring made up the cast. John Astin played Gomez, Carolyn Jones played Morticia, Ted Cassidy played the loveable Lurch, Jackie Coogan played Uncle Fester, Ken Weatherwax played Pugsley, and cute little Lisa played Wednesday. I caught an original episode a couple of weeks ago and I've been hooked ever since. Watching the actual series let me see where the creativity for the movies and the cartoon came from. Though the cartoon and the movies captured, for the most part, the idea of the story, it didn't hold a candle to the original cast. Wednesday and Morticia look a lot alike in the sitcom. That was the first thing I noticed.

The sad part about this is the series ended just after two years. True, they came out with other little movies and shows. It was nothing like the original, however. They released on DVD the original series. And as soon as I get a job, I'm all over that. Until then, I catch reruns on TV Land. It was brave of the producers of the original series to make Morticia and Gomez so in love. Back in that time, it was unheard of to see couples on TV so affectionate. Maybe that's why the series ended so soon. I don't know. But you have to admit, the original show is amazing. It's a pity that Carolyn Jones didn't live long enough to see the success after the series ended. I leave you with this original photo of the cast.

No comments: